through the study of good typography
COLLECT REALLY GREAT EXAMPLES OF TYPOGRAPHY TO STUDY! Choose from all types of design: posters, CDs, ads, brochures, Websites, magazine and book covers and spreads, packaging…
A. For each sample identify following typographic elements:
1. Headline or Display type
3. Secondary or paragraph heads
4. Tertiary heads
5. Text or body copy
7. Type elements used for:
B. For each typographic element determine:
1. Characteristics of font:
sanserif, serif, cupped serif, blocked serif, script...
2. Type family: Garamond, Futura ... a unique display face...
3. Type style: bold, medium, lite, italic, condensed, expanded...
4. Point size
5. Use of caps, u&lc, small caps...
6. Alignment flush left or flush right, justified, centered, asymmetric
7. Measure - line widths in picas and or number of characters
C. Write it down on a separate piece of paper or on a copy of the sample
D. Look for sample designs at http://www.printmag.com/regional/index.html that use the same types of fonts and relative sizes as your samples.